Lets talk about IBS. (Irritable Bowl Syndrome).
This condition affects way too many people today, and way too many people suffer endlessly and find no relief. IBS is a condition that can be triggered by a number of things including: stress, or a poor diet, and the bacteria (flora) in our stomach changes. The bacteria in our stomach is in fact very important and helps with eliminating toxins. So if our gut is out of whack, other things will be too.
This is probably the biggest reason I started this blog. I want to help as many other people as I can, who suffer from IBS.
A little background on me, I have had anxiety/panic attacks as long as I can remember (the earliest I can remember, I was five years old).
I have never had IBS until about a year ago, when I started my first business. I would have anxiety attacks, and a little nausea, or a ‘knot’ in my stomach, but now I was experiencing urgent, uncontrollable diarrhea. It seemed it did not matter what I ate. I read and read and read some more about treatments, and ‘trigger’ foods. There seemed no end in sight. There are forums dedicated to IBS and many people just live with it and assume there is no cure.
That is a heart wrenching way to be. It is an absolutely emotional and debilitating condition, and I know I could not live like that for the rest of my life. Through hours on the internet, talking with therapists and reading, I devised my own plan of supplements that I have found to work for me:
I know what you’re thinking. OMG! I have to take all those every day? No. These are all the supplements I have taken while dealing with IBS and I do not take them all every day anymore, just a few. Let me explain.
I have numbered them so it will be easier to explain what each one is.
- Colloidal Silver: This stuff is great. There is plenty of info on the web about Colloidal Silver. Its antibacterial, antiviral, anti-inflammatory, and good for immune system support. (I take this if I am not feeling well, or once a week if I remember just because it’s so good for you).
- Green Superfood: I love this stuff. I take it with 8oz of water, & 1/2 teaspoon of agave nectar. There are many days that I don’t eat enough vegetables.
- Bragg’s Apple Cider Vinegar: Ok. This stuff is from God. I drink 1 tablespoon of this after lunch every day. I will also take a shot of it if my stomach starts to ‘cramp’ after a rich meal and I feel diarrhea coming on. I can’t live without this stuff. The pectin in it from the apples actually binds you up too. (I Actually grew to love this stuff, its refreshing! If you find it sour, you can add it to hot water with a little honey).
- Manuka Honey: This stuff is similar to Colloidal Silver. It is also antibacterial & antiviral. I usually swish a teaspoon of this in my mouth and hold it for about 30 seconds. Its great for your gums & immune support too!
- Probiotics: These I believe are absolutely vital for healing IBS. Probiotics help reset the bacteria in your gut. I take these every day after dinner.
- L-Glutamine: Glutamine is an amino acid found in our muscles. It is a nutrient that can help rebuild & repair intestines. It also helps balance mucus production (for more solid bowel movements). I did take 1 teaspoon of this in water every day for about 6 months.
- Serra Enzyme: This was recommended to me by a doctor, and is also an enzyme that is anti-inflammatory. It helps with waste and toxin removal, as well as heals the body. I did take this every day for about three months.
- Cold-pressed virgin coconut oil: I probably don’t even need to explain this one. From hair, to skin, to teeth, this stuff is Gold. I mostly use this orally if I have a toothache or a cut on my skin.
- Aloe Vera Juice: Aloe Vera Juice is soothing for your stomach. It helps prevent spasms. There are two types of aloe juice; whole leaf and inner fillet. I went with inner fillet as it has less fiber in it. IBS sufferers can be very sensitive to fiber, (insoluble fiber to be specific) so I limited that in my diet too.
So you may be thinking, some of this doesn’t seem relevant to IBS but for me, I wanted to just do everything I could. I love to learn and love to improve in any aspect, so I figured I would strike my health from all angles. I also take a multivitamin I get from Trader Joes daily too. But really, my top of the list would be probiotics and apple cider vinegar. I linked each item to amazon because there are a lot of different brands of products, and after all my countless hours of research and trial/error, I have found these brands to be the best of the best for me.
In short, about a year later, I hardly have ANY IBS episodes anymore. And I used to have them daily. I for one don’t believe when a condition like this appears, that we cannot make it disappear. I like to think I am an example of that.
I am also going to write about what behaviors I had to change when I had IBS as well. Mind and body are one.
Thanks for reading,